Here are some suggestions for eco-friendly art supplies that are natural and safe for your kids to create with and friendly to the planet at the same time. Look for them in your local art & craft store or online.
Drawing & colouring
Most commercial crayons are made from paraffin wax, which is a by-product of petroleum. There have been several cases of crayons being recalled due to traces of asbestos, mercury and lead being found in them.
- Honeysticks : Crayons made in New Zealand with 100% beeswax and non-toxic pigments
- Tinta Crayons : Crayons handmade in Australia with beeswax and plant based waxes and non-toxic pigments that come in a range of fun shapes
Markers made from non-recyclable plastic end up in landfill. You can reduce your use of this disposable plastic by using markers made from recycled and recyclable plastic.
- Micador : Green Earth collection includes markers made with recyclable plastic barrels, lids and wallets, as well as coloured pencils made with FSC certified wood
Many cheap coloured pencils on the market are made from wood that has been harvested from rainforests in an unsustainable way. Save the trees by only using pencils made from FSC certified/sustainable wood, or alternatively, from recycled paper.
- Earth Greetings : Eco highlighter pencils are made with sustainable timber and safe, clay-based colour
- Faber Castell : Eco pencils are made with FSC certified wood and water based eco paint
- Smencils : Scented pencils made from recycled newspaper and environmentally friendly fragrances
- Sprout : Plantable pencils made from FSC certified wood with water activated seeds at the tip
Avoid oil based paints, which can contain chemical solvents, and paints containing pigments made from toxic metals such as cadmium, arsenic and lead (find out more here). Instead, choose water based paints with natural colours made from clays or fruit, vegetable or plant extracts. Paint brushes made with bamboo and FSC certified wood are also available.
- Eco-kids : Finger paint made in the USA from fruit and vegetable extracts, rice flour and earth clay; natural sidewalk paint, play dough, crayons, soy pastels and art pads also available
- Glob Colors : Paint made in the USA from gum arabic and extracts from fruit, vegetables, flowers and herbs, bamboo paint brushes; natural face paint also available
- Micador : Paint brushes made from FSC certified wood
- Natural Earth Paint : Paint made in the USA from organic corn starch, gum arabic and natural earth pigments (vegan) and organic milk protein and natural earth pigments, bamboo paint brushes; natural face paint also available
- Rainbow Lab : Paint made in Australia from organic and vegan ingredients; natural play dough also available
We would love to see your kids’ artwork – just post pics to Facebook or Instagram with #littlegreencrafters.