Kids can enjoy hours of fun and entertainment with puppets, but there are lots of important things they can learn from them too, including:
- imagination and creativity
- social & emotional skills
- language skills
- fine motor skills
This post features some of the different kinds of puppets you and your kids could make at home, including:
- hand and finger puppets
- craft stick puppets
- marionette puppets
- paper bag puppets
- sock puppets
- wooden spoon puppets
Here are some of the benefits of puppet play for kids:
Imagination and creativity
- Kids can use puppets to make up their own stories and pretend to be someone or something else.
- They can also use puppets to retell familiar stories like fairy tales.
- Through using puppets in their storytelling, they learn the difference between fantasy and reality.
- Puppets can be used to teach kids important skills like manners, rules, conflict resolution, kindness and empathy.
- Role playing with puppets helps kids to see situations from another point of view.
- Puppets can help kids express their feelings in a non-threatening way, especially difficult feelings like frustration, sadness and anxiety/fear.
- Kids can use puppets to talk to their parents, teachers or other kids about their feelings, or as a special friend they can share their problems with.
- Using scary puppets like lions or monsters can also help kids overcome their fears.
- Puppets can help kids learn how to start and carry on a conversation using both speaking and listening skills.
- They can help kids develop confidence in reading aloud and speaking in front of other people.
- They can also be used to help teach kids songs and rhymes.
Fine motor skills
- Manipulating puppets helps kids develop their fine motor skills and hand/eye coordination.
- Through playing with puppets they learn which fingers to use to make heads, arms and legs move.
What do your kids like to do with puppets and which one is their favourite?
We would love to see your kids and their puppets in action – just post pics to Facebook or Instagram with #littlegreencrafters. 🙂
Check out our wide range of puppet making ideas on our Pinterest page here.